Education and Training
- New York University (2016 - present)
Doctoral student; Advisor: Catherine Hartley
- University of California, Los Angeles (2014 - 2016)
Research staff; Advisor: Matthew Lieberman
- Brown University (2010 - 2014)
Sc.B. with honors in Cognitive Neuroscience; Advisor: David Badre
- Burns, S.M., Barnes, L., Katzman, P.L., Ames, D.L., Falk, E.B., Lieberman, M.D. (2018). A functional near infrared spectroscopy (fNIRS) replication of the sunscreen persuasion paradigm. Social Cognitive & Affective Neuroscience. doi: 10.1093/scan/nsy030
- Scimeca, J.M., Katzman, P.L., & Badre, D. (2016). Striatal prediction errors support dynamic control of declarative memory decisions. Nature Communications. doi: 10.1038/ncomms13061
- Vezich, S., Katzman, P.L., Ames, D., Falk, E., & Lieberman, M. (2016). Modulating the Neural Bases of Persuasion: Why/How, Gain/Loss, and Users/Non-users. Social Cognitive & Affective Neuroscience. doi: 10.1093/scan/nsw113.
- Katzman, P.L. & Hartley, C.A. (August 2018). The value of choice facilitates subsequent memory with age. Poster to be presented at the Society for Neuroeconomics meeting. Philadelphia, PA.
- Katzman, P.L. & Hartley, C.A. (August 2018). The value of choice facilitates subsequent memory with age. Poster to be presented at the Flux 2018 Congress. Berlin, Germany.
- Straccia, M.A., Tan, K.M., Parrish, M.H., Katzman, P.L., Irwin, M.R., Eisenberger, N.I., Lieberman, M.D., & Tabak, B.A. (May 2018). Oxytocin and Vasopressin Effects on Mentalizing. Poster presented at the Social Affective Neuroscience Society annual meeting. Brooklyn, NY.
- Burns, S., Barnes, L., Katzman, P., & Lieberman, M. (March 2017). Neural Predictors of Persuasion-Induced Behavioral Change, as Measured with fNIRS. Poster presented at the Social Affective Neuroscience Society annual meeting. Los Angeles, CA.
- Tabak, B. A., Katzman, P. L., Castle, E., Irwin, M. R., Lieberman, M. D., & Eisenberger, N. I. (January 2017). Social sensitivity moderates the effects of oxytocin and vasopressin on empathy and anger. Poster presented at the Emotion Preconference of the Society for Personality and Social Psychology. San Antonio, TX.
- Katzman, P. L., Scimeca, J. M., & Badre, D. (January 2014). Effects of perceived oldness and task success on subsequent memory. Poster presented at the 2014 National Collegiate Research Conference. Cambridge, MA.
- Scimeca, J. M., Katzman, P. L., & Badre, D. (November 2013). Evaluating and updating control processes in recognition memory. Poster presented at the 43rd Annual Meeting of the Society for Neuroscience. San Diego, CA.
- Katzman, P. L., Scimeca, J. M. & Badre, D. (August 2013). Effects of task success on subsequent memory. Poster presented at the 2013 Brown Summer Research Symposium. Providence, RI.
- Scimeca, J. M., Katzman, P. L., & Badre, D. (April 2013). The role of prediction errors in control of recognition memory decisions. Poster presented at the 20th Annual Meeting of the Cognitive Neuroscience Society. San Francisco, CA.
Awards and Honors
- NYU Graduate School of Arts & Science Dean's Student Travel Grant Program (July 2018)
- National Science Foundation (NSF) Graduate Research Fellowship (April 2016)
- Brown University Department of Cognitive, Linguistic, and Psychological Sciences Premium for Excellence in Cognitive Neuroscience (May 2014)
- Elected Associate Membership to Sigma Xi (May 2014)
- Karen T. Romer Undergraduate Teaching and Research Award (Summer 2013)
- Society for Neuroeconomics (2018 – present)
- Flux Society (2018 – present)
- Society for Neuroscience (2017 – present)
- Cognitive Neuroscience Society (2013 – present)
- Social and Affective Neuroscience Society (2013 – present)
Prior Research Experience
- Laboratory Assistant at the Social Cognitive Neuroscience Lab (August 2014 - July 2016)
Dr. Matthew Lieberman's lab studies how the human brain carries out social information processing.
- Primary fMRI specialist for large-scale neuroimaging drug study. Responsibilities include running human participants through fMRI and behavioral paradigms, coding MatLab scripts for stimulus presentation and data output, analyzing fMRI data with SPM8
- Involved in multi-modal study involving fMRI and fNIRS. Responsibilities include coding stimulus presentation scripts, scheduling and running participants, and analyzing data
- Research Assistant at the UCLA Developmental Neuroscience Lab (June 2015 - July 2016)
Dr. Adriana Galván’s lab studies how behavioral changes related decision-making, risk-taking, and emotion influence, and are influenced by, neurobiological development in children, adolescents, and adults.
- Runs adolescents and adults through fMRI and behavioral paradigms
- Research Assistant at the Cognitive Control and Memory Lab (September 2011 - May 2014)
Dr. David Badre's lab studies cognitive control of learning and memory, executive function, the organization of the prefrontal cortex, and how strategies are implemented for higher-level cognition
− Ran human participants in behavioral and fMRI paradigms, analyzed data, contributed to poster presentations and publications in the lab
− Completed an honors thesis
- Research Assistant at Children’s Hospital Boston (July 2009)
The Infant Sibling Project, led by PI Charles Nelson, aimed to identify early indicators of autism spectrum disorders and language delays
− Transcribed home videos of parent-child interactions, and digitized paper-form data
Service and Clubs
- Science outreach
New York City, 2017 - present
− Guest lectured about cognitive neuroscience for middle and high school students
− Brain Awareness Week Volunteer Coordinator
− Volunteer at various public science events (e.g., World Science Festival, NYU Brain Day, etc.)
- Cognitive (Neuro)science Department Undergraduate Group leader
Brown University, Spring 2013 – May 2014
- Led workshops and programs for prospective and current concentrators in cognitive science and cognitive neuroscience
- Meiklejohn Peer Advisor
Brown University, Fall 2011 – May 2014
- Academic advisor to first-year students
- Production Manager at Production Workshop
Brown University, February 2013 - May 2015
- Managed publicity, deadlines, and budget for student-run plays
- Aerial Arts Society assistant instructor
Brown University, Fall 2010 – Spring 2013
- Assisted other students in learning trapeze, lyra, and silks
References available upon request
Last updated July 2018